New Years Resolution…

Anyone doing a house renovation will have experienced those little niggling jobs, those little jobs that you just keep putting off.

For every room that you declare as ‘finished’ there is always something that is not quite perfect, not quite complete. But in your mind you have already skipped happily onto the next project, relieved to have ticked another room off your list.

Housenumber59 had a few such jobs.

Bathroom

David, very skilfully, made two cupboards in the bathroom, one to house the boiler and another to keep all our bathroom stuff in – towels, spare toothpaste etc.

IMG_0403

In order to make the doors for the bathroom cupboards David wanted a router, an expensive tool that we could not justifying buying. So the cupboards stayed doorless for a while, until I had enough and paid a carpenter to make them for us. Then they remained unpainted, for a really long time.

043

We could not end 2014 with the bathroom still not officially finished. So one weekend, I got the paintbrushes out. There is something psychologically difficult about having to do work on a room you have already declared complete – something about taking a step back. But once I got started it was fine. Almost therapeutic.

184 (2)

182 (2)      183 (2)

We decided to only have doors on the boiler cupboard and not on the bathroom cupboard. We pretty much dip in and out of it whenever we are in the bathroom and the doors just would have been open all the time. Although having everything on show does mean we have to keep it tidy!

186 (2)

Bedrooms

We also had quite a bit of ‘touching up’ to do in both bedrooms. Again a job we had been putting off for ages, but we wanted to start the year by ticking them off our to-do list.

170 (2)      168 (2)

167 (2)
Before

When the old windows leaked it was typical that it was the guest bedroom, which we had just painted, that suffered the most. Since replacing the windows we no longer have any leaks but were left with water stains on the wall. In order to paint over the water stains we first had to use a special blocking primer and then paint over that with Polished Pebble.

In the master bedroom we had a few water stains on the ceiling from where the roof leaked (said though gritted teeth). Again we used the blocking primer first, followed by Brilliant White emulsion.

The final job was to fill and paint a small patch under the bay window in the master bedroom. When we had the windows replaced the fitters did such an amazing job of protecting the rooms we had already decorated. Fortunately this was the only casualty and it was nothing a bit of polyfilla and paint could not fix.

172 (2)     171 (2)

173 (2)
After

It was great to get these little niggling jobs complete and off our to-do list.

*Smug sigh of relief*

C x

Kitchen diner – painting and the wooden floor…

In the space of a couple of weeks, the kitchen diner has gone from a dusty building sight to a decorated room.

We decided to paint the walls and ceiling before we installed the kitchen. I am not sure if this is the best way round to do it, but we figured if worse comes to worse we can always touch up (repaint) the walls after the kitchen is fitted.

We wanted a light, neutral colour and definitely no yellow. 10 tester pots later we went for ‘Star Crossed’, a Dulux trade paint. For the ceiling and cornice we went for classic Brilliant White. I must say I love Dulux paint, it goes on so well and gives a really good finish.

Like always when I paint a room, it takes me a while to decide if I like the colour or not. ‘Star Crossed’ is soft grey, in certain lights it has a very slight hint of mauve which I was not sure about at first, but once the wooden floor was installed it all seemed to work together quite nicely.

I had a clear picture in mind of the type of floor I would like for the kitchen diner and luckily, like most things, David was on the same page. We wanted a natural looking oak floor that has wide boards and long lengths. I was adamant that the boards should not be shiny, turns out the look I was after was an ‘oiled’ rather than ‘lacquered’ oak.

We went for an engineered oak, rather than solid wood. As we have a concrete floor, rather than a suspended floor, engineered oak is much better suited and less likely to warp. But we did go for the thickest engineered board we could afford to help give that solid, warm feeling.

We looked at so many places to buy the floor from, but in the end we went to a local, independent store. We probably could have got it cheaper online but we liked the fact that we knew exactly what we were buying and felt that supporting our local trades was important.

IMG_0299

David pondered whether to install the floor himself. It is not that difficult, just like a giant jigsaw puzzle, but the temptation to get a professional in was too great. It was not that expensive, although after paying the builders I think our definition of expensive has been somewhat warped, the guy did a great job and only took him two days.

IMG_0353

We are thrilled that it is all starting to come together. The only thing left to do now is choose and fit the kitchen!

IMG_0354

C x