The only thing standing between our builders and them starting work was our commitment to remove the chimney breast, opening up the kitchen diner. With a bank holiday approaching, we were running out of excuses not to do it. We knew the drill, we had already removed it from the first floor, we just needed a skip, dust sheets and some serious determination.
In many ways it was going to be harder than before. The chimney downstairs had a fireplace on both sides so the wall is twice as thick, which means twice as many bricks. Plus all of the soot, dust, dirt and rubble would have collected in these two ground floor chimneys – this was going to be messy on a whole new scale. Our only saving grace was, unlike before, we didn’t have to haul all the bricks down stairs.
As before, the general division of labour was David knocked out the bricks and I sorted them into bags ready to take out to the skip, and generally tried to keep the mounting piles of soot/rubble under control.
It was tiring, exhausting, dirty work. But me and David made a great team and somehow, between the two of us, we got it done.
Bring on the builders!