When renovating, rooms have to get worse before they get better and it was at this point that the bathroom was at its worst.
Once we took out the current suite, that was it, no bathroom at house number 59. It would involve showering at work and brushing teeth at the kitchen sink, so for obvious reasons we wanted to wait until the last possible moment.
For now we worked around the shower and toilet, stripping off wall tiles and removing the old plaster and slats. We had to be careful of the bathroom ceiling tiles as it had been suggested in the survey that they could be asbestos, and after a bit of research it seemed that indeed they were. After a quick a call to our local council we were armed with advice on how to safety remove them and had booked a time slot for them to be collected. David decided that he would take one for the team, suited up and set about taking them down.
We also had lots of floor boards up at this point so we could figure out what pipework we had, what needed to be removed and what needed to be replaced. This made using the toilet somewhat difficult, but it was all fun and games… (Every time one of us went to the loo the other would say “toilet challenge” said in 1970’s game show host voice)
We had put it off until the last possible moment, but now all that was left to do was to take out the rest of current suite. From now on house number 59 was going to be roughing it!